Grain free unsweetened Granola
(Makes 5 cups of granola)
- 2 cups nuts (I used 1 cup walnuts, 1/2 cup pecans, and 1/2 cup slivered almonds)
- 1/2 cup pumpkin seeds or sunflower seeds or flax seeds
- 1 cup coconut flakes/chips, unsweetened
- 1/4 cup coconut oil
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 egg white, whisked until frothy
- Preheat oven to 300 degrees.
- Line baking sheet with unbleached parchment paper.
- Heat coconut oil in a small saucepan over low heat, until liquid. Take off heat. Stir in salt, vanilla, and cinnamon. Set aside.
- Roughly chop nuts to desired size.
- Add pumpkin seeds, coconut flakes and to the nuts. Toss to combine.
- Pour oil mixture into the nut mixture. Use your hands to combine everything, making sure the nuts and fruit are coated.
- Add in egg white and combine further by hand, making sure everything is coated well.
- Transfer granola onto baking sheet, arranging it in one even layer. Place baking sheet in the oven.
- Bake granola for 25-30 minutes until dry and golden (you want it crisp, but do not let it burn). Rotate the pan if the granola is browning unevenly.
- Place the pan on a cooling rack and let the granola cool completely – it crisps further as it cools.
10. Once cooled, break the granola apart into whatever sized chunks you prefer. Store in an airtight container for up to 2 weeks.